Professionals Golden Grove RLA249641
3/307 The Golden Way Golden Grove
8288 8366Contact us
Theft from rural properties is a constant threat to property owners across regional South Australia.
Fuel (particularly diesel), portable tools, hardware and firewood are common targets for thieves at rural properties.
“There can be the tendency in regional areas to think crime doesn’t happen. People don’t always lock their homes at night, and may leave cars or farm equipment unlocked. In the case of farm equipment, sometimes to the point of not locked and with the keys in the ignition. It would be great if we could still live in those innocent times, but thieves are clever, bold, and quick to take advantage,” said Professionals CEO, Ted Piteo.
Mr Piteo said there were simple things rural property owners could do to make their farms more secure, particularly from opportunistic-type thieves:
• Be aware of hot spots – secure fuel supplies for example with keys/security codes
• It takes extra time each journey in and out – but it usually pays to shut and lock a gate; and shut and lock a shed
• If an employee leaves, ensure you retrieve any keys, and change locks/codes to gates/sheds and homes
• On larger farms or properties with more incoming personnel, have a key sign-out register and maintain it
• Lock vehicles at night and don’t leave keys in vehicles when not in use